Current:Home > ScamsFastexy Exchange|The Dutch counterterror agency has raised the national threat alert to the second-highest level -Capitatum
Fastexy Exchange|The Dutch counterterror agency has raised the national threat alert to the second-highest level
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 16:04:39
THE HAGUE,Fastexy Exchange Netherlands (AP) — The Dutch counterterrorism agency lifted the country’s threat alert to its second-highest level on Tuesday, saying the possibility of an attack in the country is now “substantial.”
The announcement marked the first time the threat level has been so high since the end of 2019 and came a week after the European Union’s home affairs commissioner, Ylva Johansson, warned that the continent faces a “ huge risk of terrorist attacks ” over the Christmas holiday period because of the fallout from the war between Israel and the Palestinian militant group Hamas.
The Dutch National Coordinator for Counterterrorism and Security also said in its threat assessment that “the violent conflict in Israel and the Palestinian territories, Quran desecrations in various European countries and calls for attacks from terrorist organizations have increased the threat from jihadism.”
The report cited recent attacks in nearby European countries and arrests of terror suspects in the Netherlands and neighboring countries as a reason for raising the threat level. It added that “the threat from right-wing extremism and anti-institutional extremism remains unabated.”
The agency said that while the raised threat assessment doesn’t mandate specific actions to ramp up security, it “enables security partners (such as the police, municipalities and ministries) to take measures to combat the threat.”
Attacks have happened recently in neighboring France and Belgium.
Earlier this month, a 23-year-old German-Filipino tourist was fatally stabbed near the Eiffel Tower in Paris. The man accused of the attack is under investigation on charges of murder and attempted murder in connection with a terrorist organization. He had been under surveillance for suspected Islamic radicalization, and had been convicted and served prison time for a planned attack that never took place.
In October, authorities in Brussels shot and killed a Tunisian national hours after they say he shot three Swedish soccer fans, killing two of them, and posted a video online in which he claimed credit for the attack and said the Quran was “a red line for which he is ready to sacrifice himself.”
Sweden raised its terror alert to the second-highest level in August after a string of public desecrations of the Quran sparked angry demonstrations across Muslim countries and threats from militant groups.
veryGood! (72)
Related
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Seahawks' Jamal Adams apologizes for outburst at doctor following concussion check
- Inside Cameron Diaz and Nicole Richie's Double Date With Their Husbands Benji Madden and Joel Madden
- Stealing the show: Acuña leads speedsters seeking October impact in pitch clock era
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- 3 New England states join together for offshore wind power projects, aiming to lower costs
- See Anya Taylor-Joy's Ethereal Wedding Day Style
- Shooting survivor brought to tears by Kim Kardashian after Skims shapewear saves her life
- Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
- NFL Denies They Did Something Bad With Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift
Ranking
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Building cost overrun questions still loom for top North Dakota officials
- Country Singer Jimmie Allen and Wife Alexis Back Together Amid Birth of Baby No. 3
- Capitol rioter who attacked Reuters cameraman and police officer gets more than 4 years in prison
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Trump’s lawyers seek to postpone his classified documents trial until after the 2024 election
- Suspected getaway driver planned fatal Des Moines high school shooting, prosecutor says
- 'Tiger King' star 'Doc' Antle banned from dealing in exotic animals for 5 years in Virginia
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
A $19,000 lectern for Arkansas Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders sparks call for legislative audit
Russia launches more drone attacks as Ukrainian President Zelenskyy travels to a European forum
'Her heart was tired': Woman who ran through Maui wildfire to reach safety succumbs to injuries
Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
Homecoming queen candidate dies on football field in Ohio; community grieves
UN-backed probe into Ethiopia’s abuses is set to end. No one has asked for it to continue
Seattle to pay $1.86 million after man dies of a heart attack at address wrongly put on 911 blacklist